Let’s be honest.
Every year, millions of people add “improved health” to their New Year’s resolutions, and within a month (U.S. News & World Report says 80% of new year’s resolutions fail by February) we’re back to where we started. Today, we’re here to share with you a few tips that we believe will help you create LASTING New Year’s resolutions!
- Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night, with 30 mins screen-free before you go to bed. For that last 30 minutes, you can read, get a shower, meal prep, stretch, or anything else that could help you relax without staring at that pesky blue light!
- 30 mins of exercise a day. This could even be 10 mins when you wake up, 10 mins after work, and 10 mins before bed!
- Take the stairs when you can. You can even count it towards your 30 minutes per day of exercise! 😉
- Set plans – not goals. When you set goals, you are committing yourself to an end result that could be unrealistic, or so realistic that you reach it quickly and then lose motivation. Instead of saying “I want to lose 10lbs”, say “I want to exercise for 30 minutes a day” or “I want to cut soda from my diet because I know it’s unhealthy”. Creating healthier plans lead to a lifestyle change, not just a temporary solution.
- Work on substitutions in your diet. Instead of less red meat, try to have more white meat. It’s just a matter of switching around the way you look at it, but having a positive action instead of a negative one makes you more likely to repeat it until the action turns into a habit.
- Figure out your because. Knowing the reason behind your lifestyle change makes it even easier, we promise!
What tips are you planning on using this New Year’s?